Not being happy with a few things on my Sharp LC-24CFG6132EM smart TV, I decided to dig deeper, hoping to find ways to reconfigure some settings. While I not achieved that goal yet, I at least managed to gain root access to the Linux running on the TV. Since the TV set is based on a MStar product, I suspect that my procedure will work for any MStar based TV, at least those manufactured by UMC, which for Europe own the brands of Sharp and Blaupunkt. So here I document the procedure.
While Raspberry Pi with xbian is already a versatile media center, I’m not 100% satisfied with everything. And, with the advent of H.265/HEVC as German DVB-T2 standard, the technical requirements have outrun the current offerings of the Raspberry Foundation. So I decided to migrate my Kodi media center to brand-new Libre Computer’s Le Potato board with LibreELEC, and here are the steps to do so, starting from the xbian media center described in an earlier blog post.
When I built my media center, it went into a simple black box:
I want to integrate my new Viessmann Vitovalor 300-P fuel cell heating into my home automation. For this, I use the Optolink interface, vcontrold from the openv community, and create my own configuration files from several sources.
I got myself a 10″ multi-touch display from Joy-IT for my Raspberry. I’m quite satified with the display, it has a relatively high resolution, very good display quality, good viewing angle, and touch works very well – the necessary driver is included in Raspbian. Two things that could be better: The backlight is not software-controllable, and the position of the HDMI and USB connectors is not optimal.
In the end I want to use the display mounted vertically in a wall, so I included the line
into /boot/config.txt. Unfortunately this only rotates the display, not the touch input, so the mouse is not following the touch. The line lcd_rotate=3, which would turn both display and touch, only works for the official Raspberry Foundation display. The methods described in my 3.2″ Touch Display Quick Guide do not work with this screen either. First, because tslib does not know how to handle the multitouch, and second: the SwapAxes line is also not recognised.
Still, /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/99-calibration.conf is the key to success:
MatchProduct "BYZHYYZHY By ZH851"
Option "TransformationMatrix" "0 -1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1"
That does the trick, also on brand-new Raspbian Stretch. For more details on the transformatin matrix, also for other rotations, go here.
In this post I show how to create useful hiking maps by merging OpenStreetMap data with the usually excellent official maps of the cartographic offices of Germany and several other countries. Using MOBAC and Maperitive, a transparent layer containing POIs, landscape features and elevation information is generated from OSM data and then overlayed on the official maps. Also, mapsources for OruxMaps are derived for the various countries.
For a small project I used the ATmega328P MCU – and then the small project somewhat exploded and I needed more and more I/O-Pins. Suddenly all but the PB6 and PB7 pins were in use, and I needed exactly two more…
The Raspberry Pi with Kodi is a versatile media center. Getting it to work with German IPTV in a stable fashion is however somewhat challenging. In this post I outline the necessary steps to set up a XBian based media center, to make it usable on a rather small SD TV screen, to avoid the 30 minutes offset problem with the public German TV stations, to make the channel mappings stable and to control the media center via IR remote control.
The Waveshare/Joy-IT 3.2″ touch display for Raspberry Pi is well suited for embedded applications that require a dynamic but small user interface. This article describes the steps required to get it working with Jessie, X and Python.
The BNO055 is a capable IMU that has on-chip sensor fusion and filtering. Interfacing can be done using I²C and UART. When used with the Raspberry via I²C, you get erroneous measurements because of the I²C clock stretching bug of the Raspberry. Using the UART, results are correct.