I wanted to have a floating table of contents for my posts, but could not find any free plugin that allowed me to do so. Using a combination of plugins, I created a floating TOC myself, which is not perfect, but good enough.
For a relative that’s paraplegic, I modified the housing of the remote control for the electric wheelchair wheels Alber e-motion M25 to make the usage easier. Mainly, the small housing was made thicker and larger for better handling. Also, one knob was moved to a different position.
The project is not very sophisticated, but I publish it anyhow – perhaps some other handicapped person can benefit from it.
In order to prevent my venetian window blinds to go down on timer in front of my open window-style terrace door, potentially locking me out, I needed to know if the door handle was in the “open” position. However, I did not want to use a battery powered radio sensor, but the existing door open/close magnetic sensor in the door frame. Here’s my solution.
The approach for creating feature-rich hiking maps described in my earlier post was limited in area, since it uses the Overpass API to download OSM data. The Overpass API has a restriction with regard to the amount of data downloadable in one go. In this post I describe a way to download a much larger area if needed, using the PBF files available from Geofrabrik and processing them with Osmosis.
I wrote a Python EPG scraper for the EPG data of the German TV stations broadcast by ARD. It is legal for private use. Here I share the code and my thoughts behind it.
The comment by Argus Nymus on my Media Center for German IPTV post made it clear that my approach with playlist filtering via web proxy was way too overengineered. For several reasons I needed to rebuild my media center anyhow, so it was time to simplify my approch, which I describe in some detail here.
This post is to share my self-made 3D printed housing for a 5V USB voltage converter. Since the used converter board is quite common, I guess others may profit from this design.
The installation of my fuel cell heating required a bi-directional power meter. Bonn Netz, my local power network provider, uses meters of type EasyMeter Q3M which have two infrared interfaces: A bidirectional D0 interface, and a read-only info interface. I use the info interface (INFO-DSS) to read out power consumption and production of the three phases. For this, I built an optical interface, a 3D printed housing for it, and use the UART of a Raspberry Pi with python to get the values.
I use the Rigol DS1054Z as my benchtop oscilloscope now since a few years (the one in my title image), and I am rather happy with it. However, one thing never worked for me (but is of utterly low importance – it was just nagging me): You can access a (very) few scope functions via the web interface when opening http://[IP of the scope]. The network settings section is password protected, and according to e.g. this post on EEVblog the user “rigollan” with password “111111” should work. It never worked for me. Other posts claim that “test” or even “blah” is the correct username, password “111111”. Did not work for me either. This finally worked:
- Go to http://[IP of the scope]
- Go to “Security”
- Enter both as old and new password “111111” and confirm –> Success message appears
- Now I can log in with any user with four or less letters, among them “test” and “blah”, but also “a” or “1234” works!
This post describes how to set up IPv6 with Edgerouter X (and supposedly any EdgeOS device) in interplay with the infameous Technicolor TC7200 cable modem as provided by Unitymedia in Germany, using prefix delegation to advertise valid IPv6 addresses into the LAN. This guide shows how to configure settings via GUI instead of CLI.